Experienced Kansas City DUI Attorney
Arrested for Drunk Driving? We Can Protect Your Future
Kansas City lawyer Jerry Wallentine has won many DUI trials, prevailed on numerous different motions, prevented significant jail time, and saved countless driver licenses. He recently won another DUI hearing in Johnson County, Kansas City and saved his client's driver's license. Two weeks before that, he had saved yet another client's driver license. While his past success is no guarantee for your case, he will do everything he can to fully defend his clients' every legal right.
On top of his years of DUI experience, he regularly studies and researches the constantly changing court decisions and legal changes to help his clients. For example, the Kansas Supreme Court recently made numerous ruling which can greatly affect DUI cases involving: breath tests, PBT, and blood tests.
Have this experienced and zealous Kansas City DUI attorney represent you. You will be treated with respect and your case will be given priority.
Each DUI Case is Unique
We Approach It with Thorough Advocacy
Practicing criminal defense law requires skill to successfully address the legal issues and courage to zealously represent clients in an often hostile situation. You need a DUI lawyer who strives to be the best attorney he can and is willing to fight for you. I am committed to being the best attorney I can for my clients.
"When I take on a DUI case, I approach it as a personal challenge. After years of defending hundreds of people, I noticed some similarities and legal issues that more commonly arose. However, each DUI case is unique.
I enjoy analyzing the specific issues for each individual case, and formulating a strategy given the specific situation....searching for chinks in the prosecutor's armor.
While I never guarantee a certain outcome, I do guarantee aggressive, thorough advocacy. I will personally do everything I can to effectively defend you."
- Jerry Wallentine, Managing Partner
Aggressive Drunk Driving Defense in Kansas
Our firm has helped countless clients deal with DUI charges in Kansas. We have helped many to obtain not guilty verdicts at trial, dismissal of charges and favorable pleas. Although no firm can guarantee a beneficial outcome, hiring an experienced lawyer with a track record of success greatly improves your chances.
Anyone arrested in Kansas on drunk driving charges could be made to face serious consequences such as: jail time, fines, license suspension and more. This is true even if it is your first driving offense. Our firm aggressively stands up for our clients' rights and will not back down in the face of challenging prosecution. We focus on not-guilty verdicts and dismissals. Once we are hired, we do everything in our power to obtain a favorable outcome for our clients.
At Martin & Wallentine, our superior legal team provides caring legal guidance for our clients regarding the following subjects and more:
- What to Do First - After you have been charged with a DUI offense, you may be left wondering what to do next? Being arrested for a DUI can be alarming and overwhelming, but our firm is here to provide you with the caring legal guidance you need.
- First Time DUI - Have you been charged with a DUI for the first time? You are probably unaware of the severe penalties that are involved with a first-time DUI, and it is important to secure the legal help of a DUI attorney who can defend your rights.
- Second DUI - If this is your second DUI in Kansas, you may face harsh penalties that include jail time, heavy fines and license suspension. There are various legal options that can be pursued to help you avoid these penalties, so contact our firm today.
- Felony DUI - The court will consider factors such as prior DUI convictions and more to determine if your DUI will be charged as a felony or misdemeanor.
- Field Sobriety Tests - Kansas law enforcement officers use three different field sobriety tests to determine if someone is driving under the influence of alcohol. If you have failed any of these tests, a lawyer from our firm can provide you with effective legal defense to challenge the test results.
- Administrative Hearing - If you have been charged with a DUI, you will have to defend your rights in both an administrative hearing and a court hearing. Administrative hearing officers have the legal power to revoke your driver's license, but an experienced lawyer from our firm will aggressively defend your rights.
- Chemical Testing - If you are under investigation for DUI, it is likely that the police officer will ask you to undergo chemical testing. The state of Kansas uses breath tests, blood tests and urine tests to determine BAC in those accused of DUI. A lawyer from Martin & Wallentine can challenge your test results if you have failed a chemical test. The Kansas Supreme Court made a huge decision regarding 8-1025, the criminalization of refusing to take a chemical test.
- Transporting Open Container - It is against Kansas Statue to drive with opened bottles/cans of alcohol.
- Driver's License Suspension - After you have been charged with a DUI offense, you only have a 14 day period in which you can make a written request for an administrative hearing. At this hearing, a DUI attorney from our firm will help you prevent the automatic driver's license suspension that usually results after a DUI is given.
- DUI Defense -Defending your rights against a DUI accusation is a key part of avoiding serious and life-changing penalties.
- DUI Expungement - Are you looking to clear your record of a previous DUI conviction? A DUI offense can affect the rest of a person's life, and our firm provides the legal representation needed to successfully clear your record. We are prepared to argue your case before court, so call today.
- DUI Involving Accidents - Were you involved in a DUI that led to an accident? If so, you may be imprisoned and face other harsh penalties if you are convicted. It is extremely important that you do not speak to anyone until you secure the help of a talented DUI lawyer.
- DUI Sentencing - The state of Kansas has guidelines that determine the penalties and sentences for various DUI offenses. If you or someone you know has recently been arrested for a DUI, you need to take action immediately to protect your rights and your future.
- How to Beat a DUI - There are numerous arguments that can be made against your DUI charges. At our firm, we are intimately familiar with the defense strategies that have proven effective in the past, and we will fight for your rights both in and out of the courtroom.
- Intoxilyzer 8000 - The Intoxilyzer 8000 is used by law enforcement officers and agencies throughout the state of Kansas to determine the blood alcohol content of drivers. Recent cases have brought to light several inconsistencies with this instrument, and an attorney from our firm can help you challenge a DUI charge that resulted from an Intoxilyzer reading.
- Kansas DUI Statute - The new Kansas DUI Statute that was put into effect by the legislature on July 1, 2011. An expert attorney at our firm can explain the details and logistics of this Statue and how it relates to your charges.
- Leaving the Scene - If you or someone you know has been charged for leaving the scene of an accident, it is imperative that you quickly obtain the legal counsel of a qualified Kansas DUI attorney. Charges for leaving the scene can be added to other charges such as felony DUI or DUI involving accidents.
- PBT - A preliminary breath test is widely used by Kansas police officers during a DUI investigation on the streets. This test confirms the field sobriety test results by estimating the blood alcohol content. This device is smaller than the Intoxilyzer 8000 and is not as reliable.
- Probation Violation - Have you been charged for violating your probation? If you are found to be guilty of probation violation, you will face consequences such as jail time, additional fines and probation revocation. A DUI defense lawyer from our firm can fight for you in court to help you avoid these penalties.
- Sobriety Checkpoint - There are DUI check points, known as sobriety checkpoints, set up randomly on Kansas roadways to test suspect drivers for drunk driving. These roadblocks are usually set up late at night or early in the morning, and police officers will usually stop every vehicle or use a random pattern to stop vehicles.
- Terms and Definitions - Our legal team at Martin & Wallentine has compiled a list of important terms and definitions related to DUI charges and DUI cases.
- Underage DUI - Those who are charged with a DUI under the age of 21 will face particularly harsh penalties if they are convicted. A DUI offense can significantly impact your future because it will go on your criminal record. The courts in Kansas prosecute underage DUI aggressively, and it is wise to enlist the help of a DUI lawyer.
Kansas DUI Statutes
Read Kansas state statutes regarding DUI to learn more:
In addition, K.S.A. 8-1015 allows a person to apply to have their driver license suspension modified. If granted, it allows the person to drive, with restrictions, so long as an ignition interlock is installed. The wait time is either 45 days or 90 days, depending on the specific situation.
And, under K.S.A. 8-1014, Kansas has a harsh driver license punishment when a person fails or refuses to submit to a breath or blood test during a drinking and driving investigation.
Successful Trial Attorney Experienced in Kansas DUI Courts
Each DUI case requires immediate defense action, which should be initiated at the moment of your arrest. Exercise your right to remain silent and your right to a lawyer, but get a good attorney that is skilled in defending DUI charges.
Our legal team is committed to pursuing the best possible case result for all of our clients, and your case will be given the priority attention it deserves. We are proud of our aggressive approach and our proven record in defending drunk driving charges.
Over our years in legal practice, we have developed strong relationships throughout the criminal justice system with prosecutors and judges, and we will use every advantage we can gain on behalf of our accused clients.
Our firm has helped countless clients who were charged with DUI in Johnson County, Kansas. At our drunk driving defense firm, you will have a team behind you. However, the substance of your case will be handled personally by DUI lawyer Jerry Wallentine. He has litigated hundreds of cases over the years and thoroughly know the ins and outs of Kansas DUI laws and court procedures.
How We Can Help
If you are arrested on a Drunk Driving charge in Kansas, you could be looking at jail time, hundreds of dollars in fines, and suspension of your driver's license — even for a first offense. DUI laws in Kansas are stricter than many other states.
Moreover, the police and prosecutors take these cases very seriously and will prosecute to the full extent of the law.
If you have been arrested on a DUI in Kansas, contact us immediately to speak with a Kansas DUI lawyer about defending you against these criminal charges.
Read What Our Former Clients Have Said
"Professional, informative, and vital in working with the prosecutor to secure the most favorable outcome possible".Barb
"Jerry kept in constant contact with us and our son during the case and went the extra mile to plea before the judge outside and inside the courtroom".Joanne from Nebraska