Protecting Your Rights and Pursuing Justice After a Bicycle Accident in Kansas
Here at Martin and Wallentine, LLC, we are your dedicated legal advocates in Kansas when it comes to bicycle accidents. We understand that cycling isn't just a means of transport but a cherished source of exercise and enjoyment. However, the serenity of riding can shatter when accidents occur. Our experienced team is here to help you navigate the challenging aftermath of a bicycle accident in Kansas.
At Martin and Wallentine, LLC, we are committed to safeguarding your legal rights and seeking justice on your behalf. Contact our lead personal injury attorney, Jerry Wallentine, who not only brings extensive legal expertise but is also an avid cyclist. His personal commitment to cycling safety makes him a formidable advocate for injured cyclists in Kansas.
Bicycle Accidents in Kansas
Bicycling is a popular activity in Kansas, but it comes with inherent risks, especially when sharing the road with motor vehicles. Bicycle accidents in our state can result in severe injuries and substantial damages. Cyclists face unique challenges due to their vulnerability compared to the protection afforded by cars.
The Scope of Bicycle Accidents:
- Nearly 1,000 bicyclists lose their lives in the United States each year, with over 130,000 injured.
- These accidents cost the United States over $23 billion annually, including healthcare expenses, lost productivity, and quality of life.
- In Kansas, nearly 300 cyclists are injured annually.
Factors Contributing to Bicycle Accidents:
Several factors increase the likelihood of bicycle accidents:
- Age and Gender: Adults aged 55-69 face the highest bicycle death rates, with males having significantly higher death and injury rates than females.
- Location: Bicycle accidents are 64% more likely to occur on non-intersection road sections due to higher speeds.
-Alcohol Involvement: One-third of fatal bicycle crashes involve alcohol from either the motor vehicle driver or the cyclist.
Cyclists Can Experience Severe Injuries in Accidents:
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): One common injury seen in bicycle accidents is Traumatic Brain Injuries, often referred to as TBIs. These occur when a cyclist's head sustains impact during an accident, even when wearing a helmet. Even mild TBIs, such as concussions, can result in significant issues lasting for days, weeks, or months. However, severe TBIs, which involve skull fractures or foreign objects penetrating the brain, can lead to enduring challenges, such as difficulties with cognition and mobility.
Spinal Cord Injuries: Another serious injury that can occur in bicycle accidents is damage to the spinal cord. If any part of the spine, including nerves, vertebrae, or discs, is harmed during a bicycle accident, it can result in spinal cord injuries. These injuries can lead to ongoing pain, muscle weakness, and the loss of sensation or mobility below the site of the injury.
Broken/Fractured Bones: Bicycle accidents can also lead to fractures and breaks in various parts of the body, including the arms, legs, hips, hands, fingers, and facial bones. These fractures typically require prompt medical attention, including surgeries and treatments to facilitate proper bone healing. These injuries not only cause physical pain but also result in unforeseen medical expenses, time away from work, and a decreased quality of life.
The reassuring news for those injured in bicycle accidents in Kansas is that you have the right to seek compensation under Kansas law. Therefore, if you experience such an unfortunate incident, it is advisable to seek legal counsel promptly to ensure that your rights are protected and that you can pursue the compensation you are entitled to under the laws of Kansas.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bicycle Accident Claims:
1. What damages can I recover from a bicycle accident?
- You can recover economic and non-economic damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more if someone else is at fault for your accident.
2. Do I have a strong case?
- If someone else caused your accident, you suffered significant losses, and there's a responsible party or insurance company to pay damages, you likely have a strong case.
3. What should I do at the accident scene?
- Gather facts, take photos, and obtain witness contact information. Explain the incident clearly to responding officers. Contact a local attorney promptly for assistance.
How a Lawyer Can Assist You After a Bicycle Accident:
- Establishing Liability: An attorney can investigate and gather evidence to prove fault, even when accident reports are unclear.
- Maximizing Damages: Your lawyer will review all recoverable damages, gather evidence, and build a compelling case for full compensation.
- Identifying Responsible Parties: If identifying the at-fault party is challenging, your attorney can conduct a thorough investigation to locate insurance policies or assets to pursue under Kansas law.
Bicycle accidents are traumatic, and insurance companies may not always have your best interests in mind. Martin and Wallentine, LLC, has the experience to help you secure the compensation you deserve under the law. If you've experienced a bicycle accident in Kansas, contact us today. Our team is dedicated to supporting you and protecting your rights.
Read What Our Former Clients Have Said
"Professional, informative, and vital in working with the prosecutor to secure the most favorable outcome possible".Barb
"Jerry kept in constant contact with us and our son during the case and went the extra mile to plea before the judge outside and inside the courtroom".Joanne from Nebraska